Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mouthguard

I just fabricated my first mouthguard for myself by myself. After researching mouthguards I found out that the best mouthguards are custom made by dentists. I followed some instructions I found online and viola, I now have a mouthguard for full contact sports, its just too bad that I don't play any full contact sports.

The cost to make a mouthguard isn't that much. A dental assistant takes some impressions of the patients mouth and you pour up models in plaster then you send it to a lab and they charge you somewhere around 50-60 dollars to make one. (In my case I did the lab work myself and it only cost me a few dollars in materials) The dentist then delivers the mouthguard to the patient using up more chair time in the dental office which costs them money, and then the dentist could be held liable if it doesn't function correctly, so there is a markup there as well, in the end the mouthguard might cost 200 dollars if you want to be able to breath and speak while you wear the mouthguard.

Cheaper alternatives include stock mouthguards, which are notorious for being out of the athletes mouth.

Boil and bite mouthguards are a step up from that but still lack proper adaptation for comfort.

there are many different kinds of dental made mouthguards, there is the single layer mouthguard, or the multilayer mouthguard, the multilayer offer better protection.

I can't take my custom mouthguard out of my mouth without using my hands, it fits so well my tongue can't even get it off of my teeth.

If you play any full contact sports i would recommend getting a mouthguard and using it.
I am currently working in a hospital dental clinic and we get emergency visits every weekend for knocked out teeth. Fixing a knocked out tooth can cost around 4,000 dollars at least to replace the missing tooth over the lifetime of the patient.
When you consider all of that, it makes the 200 dollar mouthguard look cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment